Battery Maintenance Tips
- When placing battery, ensure that it is secured firmly in the cradle. And the battery tray is cleaned properly.
- Always keep terminals and clamps clean and grease-free and never hammer down the clamps. Keep the battery top clean from mud and dust by cleaning with a cloth having little moisture.
- In case of heavy mud covering the battery, the top should be cleaned and then vent plug to be opened with a rupee
coin and immersed in distilled water to clear the mud. Ensure there is no blockage in the vent plug top.
- Ensure that the clamps are always firmly tightened.
- Do not keep normal batteries idle for more than 3-4 weeks and MF batteries idle for more than 10-12 weeks.
- Make sure the connecting cables are fixed to the correct poles. (first +ve to +ve then -ve to -ve)
- Apply petroleum jelly on the terminal cable clamps but never apply grease.
- In case of maintenance-free (MF) automotive batteries, vent plugs can be opened with a rupee coin.
- To protect the batteries from damage, recharge at recommended current (amps) only.
- Do not operate or charge battery if electrolyte temperature exceeds 60°C.
- Put the correct capacity of battery in the vehicle to get the best performance.
- Periodically check the voltage regulator output as over and under charging can be harmful to the battery.